If you were running for President.....

...let the debates begin!

Moderators: siren13, Giorgio Tsoukalos, Essence

JessieD
Garuna's Passenger

If you were running for President.....

Postby JessieD » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:25 pm

This is just a fun "what if" sort of thing. Take it easy. No one here, that we know of, is currently running for President -- so if you get hot headed over something CHILL OUT DUDE! :D

Have fun answering the following questions and see what kind of responses you get from others. It's all in fun and is meant to be a brain exercise.

1. How would you create a better sense of Nationalism?
2. What would your TOP 5 issues be? (Please go into some depth and explain your answers)
3. Who would you credit as your inspirational sources? (Lets limit this to 3 people)
4. What party would you subject yourself to being a part of?
5. All presidents seem to do something crazy/stupid/unethical/mind-blowing. What would your "thing" be?

Brought to you by Soylent red and Soylent yellow, high energy vegetable concentrates, and new, delicious, Soylent green. The miracle food of high-energy plankton gathered from the oceans of the world.

http://findingcountstgermain.blogspot.com/

JessieD
Garuna's Passenger

Re: If you were running for President.....

Postby JessieD » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:20 pm

I would have the USA host the next World's Fair, heavily promote it, have contests open in a variety of categories for anyone to enter (as long as they have everything in order), and it would also coincide with the unveiling of a new nationwide transportation system.

I would also have a government funded television drama that really gets to the roots of "what is American?" It would also promote the working man, the intellect, traveling the country, and working to better one's self. It would not be a military-based show because I find that boring. Yes, this is propaganda, but I don't really care. It would definitely be better than half the crap on tv.

2. What would your TOP 5 issues be? (Please go into some depth and explain your answers)
- Welfare System Reform - I have a journal filled up with ideas on political issues and this one is a big one. In a nutshell, I would make everyone on welfare take urine tests, encourage people on welfare to get education and find better jobs, and I would give people on welfare a time limit of 5 consecutive years that they are allowed to be on welfare with at least 2 consecutive years before they are able to apply for any other welfare.
- Prison System Reform - Minimum to Medium level prisons will have group therapy and full workdays for prisoners. Television will be limited to news, weather, an educational channel, and a weekly movie. These prisons will function a lot like Alcatraz. High and Maximum will not have therapy unless ordained by a judge. Work will be longer and more labor intensive. I don't believe in SuperMax prisons. Kill the bastards, lets save some money and just get on with things.
- New National Transportation System - Trans-Continental Monorail. This would be a super fast, minimal stop monorail system that gets put in place. The idea is to make it just as quick, if not quicker, to travel by monorail than airplane. This could be done by stopping only in a few cities across the nation that would become monorail hubs. These hubs would allow people to change to other lines that would take them to other parts of the nation (so I'm not leaving people out, but the main express line would go in first). This would coincide with a World's Fair and promotions to explore America.
- Immigration Issues - Declare the national language as English, promote legal immigration, and change some laws. It bothers me that people come to America, have a kid, and get an instant American card. That's BS. If someone from another country comes to the US and has a kid then the parents have the option of choosing if the kid will become American or retain the citizenship of the parents. If the kid is declared an American, then they get taken by social services. If the parents have the child retain the same citizenship as themselves, then they have to go back to where they came from.
- Raising Educational Standards - I'm still fine tuning my ideas for this. I was always bored in school because it was not challenging. I would want to make it fun and more challenging. If a kid is not getting it, let them repeat the class or get some tutoring. It's not fair to the other kids to have to be held back in their learning because one kid isn't getting it. I'm also all about learning in new ways and learning how to apply your knowledge to everyday life. It would also be nice to have some awesome gym classes (like taebo or dancing or p90x) and perhaps a class on nutrition (so people don't end up like that McNugget girl).

3. Who would you credit as your inspirational sources? (Lets limit this to 3 people)
Theodore Roosevelt
Nikola Tesla
Napoleon Bonaparte

I'd have to create my own. I'm too much of a centrist to belong to the regular parties. I was thinking about this not too long ago and thought it would be fun to revitalize the Bull Moose Party (Progressives) just so when there are rallys we can make the face (below) that John Cleese is making while making moose sounds.

5. All presidents seem to do something crazy/stupid/unethical/mind-blowing. What would your "thing" be?
I'd probably drop some F-bombs on national tv, tell some d*ckhead to go F--- himself for being a dumbass, and I'm sure someone would catch me dancing around the Whitehouse in my underwear or something. I tend to play by the rules and make others do the same. I'm also a natural team leader.
Brought to you by Soylent red and Soylent yellow, high energy vegetable concentrates, and new, delicious, Soylent green. The miracle food of high-energy plankton gathered from the oceans of the world.

Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Moon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:21 pm

I moved this topic to the Politics Board.

I would start a nationwide movement to clean up our cities, towns, parks and beaches. I know there are some movements out there doing this, but we all need to pitch in for this to work. Community pride would be lifted and that would affect all peoples.

2. What would your TOP 5 issues be? (Please go into some depth and explain your answers.)

A) Health Care for all. I would open Medicare for every citizen to join if they want. We are the richest nation in the world and have the worst form of health care out there. This is a tragedy and should be remedied. Also, this will save money as more healthy people would join in the pool keeping the costs down. Preventive care will also save hospital visits that cost tens of thousands of dollars.

B) Balancing the Budget: This can be done with smart government programs. We need to make the tax code fair and just for everyone. I would let all the Bush (now Obama) tax cuts expire as we cannot afford them. I would also look at all the ways we do business and localize it so it serves the people. I also would not touch Social Security and make it against the law for Congress to do so. There is plenty of money to keep SS solvent (unlike what many others claim) and we need to keep Congress grubby little hands off of it. With Medicare open for all, Medicaid can be merged with it so there is a one stop place for getting health care coverage. Again this saves money, and I would also merge many other departments (FBI, Postal Inspectors, ATF are among the ones to be merged). I would legalize drugs and tax them for extra income. We spend over $50 billion a year just incarcerating young people for possession of drugs.

C) Education reform: I would make the Department of Education a place where they set standards for all levels of education. That way each state would know the minimum students would have to learn. Education needs would be drafted at a local level and I would stress parental involvement. Money from states would go directly to their local school districts and not straight to the federal level. I think there is a belittling of education by some candidates which needs to stop. We are not the world's best when it comes to educating our young. We are not even the top ten, and that is sad for the World's Superpower.

D) We need to keep working with the UN and other nations to solve the problems that affect the world also. I do not believe in isolationism and think it is dangerous in the long run. We have to recognize the global access we have now and this is the future of who we are. Peaceful and dramatic solutions to climate change, regional disputes and other problems facing our planet.

E) Reinvest in science and space travel. People make fun of Newt Gingrich for his Moon Colony idea, but we do need to start colonies in space, the Moon, Mars and other asteroids. planets etc. We need to invest in research and development on ships to take us to the nearby stars. We also need to invest in renewable resources so oil and gas usage will be a thing of the past. I want to see the internal combustion engine along side the steam engine at museums where people state: "We actually used those modes of transportation?"

3. Who would you credit as your inspirational sources? (Lets limit this to 3 people.)

FDR: The man could not walk without a cane on one side and his son holding him on the other side. He kept his handicap a secret at a time when people would not of voted for him. He saw our country through the worst depression ever and also the most catastrophic war. People do not have memories of the Great Depression, but my Grandparents and great aunts and uncles did and would tell us some amazing stories. They also remember how FDR kept the country together even though they were Republicans.

Queen Elizabeth I: A woman became queen because of her birthright but took a small country and turned it into one of the greatest superpowers of its time. She also presided over a period of science and growth much like we are experiencing today. It took her great courage to rule a kingdom and empire in a man's world and I admire her greatly for doing so.

Julius Caesar: I am not for empire building, but admire Caesar for controlling such a vast empire at a time when there were no modern communications or ways to keep it in line. He also built streets, plumbing and other public works (some which still stand today). I think we always refer to them as barbarians and forget how sophisticated they were during the times.

The last two are from the past, but they are still remembered almost as if they recently lived.

Independent- I would be beholden to no one. I wouldn't have to worry about a platform and the party elites. I also would not take a dime from any Wall Street, Union, PAC or other methods where someone wants something in return. No donations over $100 would be accepted and I would travel with a small pick-up truck or use the train.

Telling people the way it is. I would also be heavily into disclosure and look to finding out what crashed at Roswell.

JessieD
Garuna's Passenger

Postby JessieD » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:25 pm

I think I'd probably come up with a national plan for extraterrestrial contact. It's not high on the list of top priorities, but it's just something I'd do.

Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Moon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:33 pm

I support the Dream Act and would give amnesty to the illegals in our country. They do all the difficult farm jobs such as picking fruit and vegetables which our citizens just won't do. I also don't support making English as the nation's language as there have been attempts at a national language in our past. If one had made it through, we would all be speaking German. We are a diverse melting pot in the USA and always have been. Most immigrants do learn English and many speak it better than those of us raised with it. It also seems like many candidates love to demonize immigration to get people from thinking about the real issues at hand: Manufacturing jobs and taxing the corporations which move jobs overseas.

Welfare Reform was done in the 1990s and I would give states more leeway in how they have their programs constructed.

As far as prison reform, I do think we have too many in the prisons for non-violent offenses such as drug possession. We need treatment like you state, not caging people for the tiniest of offenses. I would also give more leeway to the judges when it comes to sentencing. It seems we have so many laws that keep their hands tied, the system will never be able to be repaired. I am opposed to the death penalty and would abolish it.

JessieD
Garuna's Passenger

Postby JessieD » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:33 pm

Mercury wrote: I am opposed to the death penalty and would abolish it.

Keeping those people (like in the SuperMax prisons) in the prison system, who are given super long sentences that they will never actually fulfill (like 99 years or something) just eat up an incredible amount of federal dollars. I do believe in a second chance, but the SuperMax prisoners are like the Hannibal Lectors of crime. Therapy won't help them, no one wants them released back into society, they aren't trusted even when in shackles...If I had to keep these folks alive, my choice would be to revoke their rights and set them up for scientific testing of any kind.

I'm all for second chances, but not for these wackos. I do support the death penalty (obviously), but don't misunderstand me and think that I want everyone dead. Just like I am fully pro-choice. It doesn't mean I think everyone should rush out and get abortions. It just means that I want that option available for those who are not ready, not financially stable, victims of sexual abuse/crime, and/or do not want kids. My usual quote is "Don't like abortions? Don't get one."

I do think that we TOTALLY need education reform in a severe way.

If I had not rushed my earlier post, I would have also put down something about the nation's budget. Perhaps reclaim some industries, merge some departments....

I think it would be hilarious to make politicians take a pee test at least every quarter. I want my decision makers to be drug-free.

seeker1117
Garuna's Passenger

Postby seeker1117 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:23 am

"If I ran the zoo", said young Gerald McGrew, "I'd make a few changes, that's just what I'd do!"

1. "Nationalism" is a hideous and mentally debilitating disease that should be eradicated! "Imagine there's no countries. It isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for. And no religion, too!"

2. a. Abolish "Insurance Companies" and dismantle the AMA and Big Pharma companies, and allow free health care for all, since without the evil insurance companies, health care wouldn't cost but a fraction of what it does now. It's only "expensive" because the evil Insurance and Big Pharma companies make it so.
b. Arrest and depose all the "elite" from all the corporation boards and congress. Allow NO elected official to have any sort of ties to corporations or special interest. Grass-roots only. Abolish "lobbying and lobbyists" and overturn every stupid thing the stupid Supreme Court has passed in the last ten years.
c. Put everyone who's out of work back to work rebuilding our infrastructure.
d. Stop the persecution of "regular folk" and dismantle the DEA and IRS and CIA and FBI and all the other evil Alphabet Agencies.
e. Abolish religion in all forms.

3. John Lennon, JRR Tolkien, Carlos Casteneda

4. NONE!

5. hahaha....I can't print that here! ;-)
"You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one."

Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Moon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:17 pm

You got my vote, Seeker! :mrgreen:

seeker1117
Garuna's Passenger

Postby seeker1117 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:32 am

heehee...at least that makes two of us...it's a start!

and I just noticed that I'm herding nerfs again...and so the long climb up the LT evolutionary ladder begins again....... :mrgreen:
"You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one."

Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Moon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:22 pm

seeker1117 wrote:heehee...at least that makes two of us...it's a start!

and I just noticed that I'm herding nerfs again...and so the long climb up the LT evolutionary ladder begins again....... :mrgreen:

Season four starts Friday, plenty of posts for you in the future to get you back up.

Scottos Maximos
Legendary Times Fan

Postby Scottos Maximos » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:17 pm

JessieD wrote:This is just a fun "what if" sort of thing. Take it easy. No one here, that we know of, is currently running for President -- so if you get hot headed over something CHILL OUT DUDE! :D

Have fun answering the following questions and see what kind of responses you get from others. It's all in fun and is meant to be a brain exercise.

I'm British, so if I was running for president it would be due to my success of abolishing Nationalism.
I really don't see the point of all this national division and battles over land. It is a complete waste of time... If the aliens of the ancients did revisit the planet at least It might give the people of earth some better unity. Most of the countries in the world were drawn up arbitrarily so I would do away with them all and just make administrative districts.
2. I would nationalise pharmaceutical companies and put it under control of the UN. They make immense profits at the cost of the health of man so through that I could prevent people of the world dying from diseases we have cures for that big pharma wouldn't release the patents for the drugs to be made cheap.
I would also increase the work on hydro fuel cells as my second thing to reduce dependency on oil.

and thats all I can think of for now!

combined posts per forum rules-M

I didn't read the whole thing before I posted however I realised that me and Seeker are on the same page!

We need to think of a banner to work under towards this common goal!

Dr. Z
Mahabharata Scribe

Postby Dr. Z » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:15 am

Ignore the bickering between the extreme left and right, and focus on the positive.

2. What would your TOP 5 issues be? (Please go into some depth and explain
your answers)

The eccomomy, lower taxes for business and those making under 250,000. When people have extra money, they spend it.

The national debt - Pass a bill to start paying it down. We are in trouble here.

Nurtalization of any radical goverment or group close to acquiring nuclear weapons. Full inspections, or a demolition job of the suspected area. No long term ground troops are necessary

Increase funding for space exploration. Space is our future. Population growth taxes Earth's finate resoruces

Legal reform. Too much insurance and suing. Put a cap on it. 50X a person's net worth, or $2,000,000.00 which ever amount is lower.
After a cap is there, insurance rates will be much lower.

Making a path to being a citzen possible, but only after years of paying your dues to assure you put in more than you are taking out.

Why limit to three?

The Common sense / USA party. Call me a Republicrat

Not making any stupid deals with Congress.

Return to “Politics / Current Affairs”