Amazonian Geoglyphs

What is the mystique behind Forbidden Archaeology? Here's your forum to discuss anything that "officially" should not exist - but does!

Moderators: siren13, Essence, Giorgio Tsoukalos

Amazonian Geoglyphs

Postby Buzi-Blu » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:40 pm

Maybe this is old news but I did a search and couldn't find any previous mention.

Due to deforestation in the Amazonian rainforest, the remains of a previously unknown civilisation are becoming visible. Hundreds of geoglyphs can be seen which date from 850 to 1000 years ago. See this site:

http://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2010/11/amazonian-geoglyphs.html

I first heard of it from a documentary (BBC Unnatural Histories 2011) and found it quite fascinating. It overturned the assumption that the rainforest is untouched and has been there for thousands of years, it also overturns the idea that the natives were few and lived an unsophisticated life. This may have come about because the population would have been decimated by smallpox or other diseases by the time anyone got there to observe and record it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0122njp

Maybe you can watch it here http://eztvstream.com/unnatural-histories/unnatural-histories-season-1-episode-3-amazon
Buzi-Blu

Re: Amazonian Geoglyphs

Postby Moon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:42 pm

This is the first time I have heard about these geoglyphs. Very interesting find and I have bookmarked that site. Thank you for posting it here.
Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:42 am

I read the article, what a great find. Thanks for the information Buzi.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
Ace Rimmer
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Buzi-Blu » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:33 am

I had forgotten all about it until I read about a similar, but much older, find in South Africa (see the Adam's Calendar thread). It just shows what remains undiscovered, never mind what is under the water, there could be vanished civilisations buried beneath undergrowth or desert sands. It's also a lesson in not making assumptions of what the world used to be like - quite often now I have come across examples where human occupation has enhanced tree growth where previously it was barren but when a researcher comes and has a snapshot view in it looks like the reverse has happened.

I'm glad it posted OK, was worried I'd be talking about "No commercial sites here geoglyphs"! Careful rewording seems to have worked.
Buzi-Blu

Postby Moon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:26 pm

It is interesting because over 10,000 years ago the Sahara Desert was once a forest and had very wet weather. Yet it seems no one has really looked around there to see if there are any ancient sites where people might have set up communities and villages.

Underwater and above water, there are many places that need exploring as you have stated, Buzi.
Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Polaris » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:57 pm

The origianal civilization(s) in the americas, IMO are earth's oldest...
and the more we learn of them, the more it will become apparent.
Polaris

Postby alienjedi » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:26 pm

It's almost criminal how much of our oceans remain unexplored.
alienjedi

Postby Bob137 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:26 pm

The latest Satellite technology is revealing many yet to be uncovered structures, and yes even pyramids in the deserts of Egypt!
Bob137

Postby gerhard1 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Mercury wrote:It is interesting because over 10,000 years ago the Sahara Desert was once a forest and had very wet weather. Yet it seems no one has really looked around there to see if there are any ancient sites where people might have set up communities and villages.

Underwater and above water, there are many places that need exploring as you have stated, Buzi.

I have heard rumors of lost cities in the Sahara, but large parts of the Sahara are inhabited by people who don't take kindly to outsiders, so it will be a long time before the Sahara gives up its' secrets. I have been spending a little time on google earth, looking for evidence of past civilizations, not only in the Sahara, but other places as well, but it is just a stab in the dark.

I have also spent time looking in the Ama-zon* region (again on google earth) looking for anything that might be evidence of previous cultures but again no luck.

*this software can be adjusted, I'd think!! :roll:
gerhard1
Mahabharata Scribe

Return to Forbidden Archaeology / Alternative History