New Monopoly features a computer tower monitoring every move

You decide... let the speculation begin!

Moderators: siren13, Essence, Giorgio Tsoukalos

Postby ilacewords » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:49 pm

The new version of Monopoly features an ominous computer tower which monitors your moves, counts your money, rolls the dice for you and tells you what to do…Sounds fun!

Jeopardy isn’t the only game being threatened by computer domination.

A new version of board game staple Monopoly will ditch the dice and paper money in exchange for an ominous computer tower that monitors player activity. Hasbro unveiled the product –somewhat ironically dubbed “Monopoly Live” — at this week’s Toy Fair in New York, reports The New York Times.

The ten-inch tower sits in the middle of the game board, using infrared technology to keep track of the action while barking out instructions to players. Move one too many spaces? The all-seeing eye computer tower will know. It even rolls the (virtual) dice for you.

Thankfully, the core element of the Monopoly board — the location of properties — has remained unchanged, so you can still set up your favorite hotel chains, land on free parking and scoop up dough by passing “Go.” But say goodbye to that brightly colored Monopoly money and those Community Chest and Chance cards — if it’s made of paper, it’s pretty much gone. Instead, players will buy and sell properties by holding their hands over special decals and will check their accounts by inserting ATM cards into the tower.

The Big Brother-like move is intended to revive interest in the dwindling board game market.

“How do we give them the video game and the board game with the social experience? That’s where Monopoly Live came in,” Jane Ritson-Parsons, global brand leader for Monopoly, told the Times.

The newfangled Monopoly is sure to have detractors, however. Players have long considered the basic Monopoly rules to be more a set of loose guidelines, and have traditionally livened things up by encouraging sneakier tactics like hiding money and making deals with other players on the fly. With the tower overseeing every move, such casual cheating will be a thing of the past.

With Monopoly Live, Hasbro is hoping to appeal to younger players more accustomed to the fast-paced world of digital downloads and bite-sized game apps (the biggest of which, Angry Birds, will be getting the board game treatment later this year.) It’s planned to be a shorter, quicker experience that doesn’t require thumbing through an instruction manual, and will even include random mini-games — such as a horse race or sudden property auction — to break up the game’s oft-criticized monotony.

The game goes on sale this fall for $50. Other Hasbro franchises will receive a similar upgrade in the future, with Battleship going under the hi-tech knife later this year.

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=6957
ilacewords

Re: New Monopoly features a computer tower monitoring every

Postby Vance » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:36 pm

LOL. What a great metaphor. But it's real.
Vance

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Man this is just too fricking much. Wow!
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
Ace Rimmer
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Moon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:06 pm

How much are they going to rook people for this gadget that is not needed?
Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby ilacewords » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:12 pm

Lol Max I think I read it was going to be 50 bucks
ilacewords

Postby upperworld » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:47 am

It starts with Monopoly Live, then it expands into robot boxing (IMDB Real Steel i think it's called) and then robot maids (remember ASIMO falling, funniest clip of all time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASoCJTYgYB0) and then before you know it we are second class citizens on this planet fighting to survive self aware cyborg domination. It's ok though, we'll send someone back through a time portal to destroy HASBRO.
upperworld

Postby ilacewords » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:30 am

upperworld wrote:It starts with Monopoly Live, then it expands into robot boxing (IMDB Real Steel i think it's called) and then robot maids (remember ASIMO falling, funniest clip of all time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASoCJTYgYB0) and then before you know it we are second class citizens on this planet fighting to survive self aware cyborg domination. It's ok though, we'll send someone back through a time portal to destroy HASBRO.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ilacewords

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:40 am

Too funny Upperworld! :lol:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
Ace Rimmer
Ancient Astronaut

Postby dr fate » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:55 am

I for one welcome our computer tower over lords! LOL! anyone remember the old Dark Tower game from the 80's?

But seriously, besides "casual cheating"-many people play w/ agreed upon house rules & other variations. Who the hell needs a robot to play Monopoly?
dr fate

Postby ilacewords » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:25 pm

dr fate wrote:I for one welcome our computer tower over lords! LOL! anyone remember the old Dark Tower game from the 80's?

But seriously, besides "casual cheating"-many people play w/ agreed upon house rules & other variations. Who the hell needs a robot to play Monopoly?

lol exactly on the 'house rules' - we have a jackpot pile we give out that accumulates from chance cards when someone rolls 'snake eyes' instead of that money going into the bank. I want my snake eyes jackpot roll that robot ain't gonna give me!! :lol:
ilacewords

Postby Inquiring Mind » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:06 pm

Haha, wow. I can't say I'm surprised at all.
Inquiring Mind

Postby Moon » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:58 pm

This is a funny bit Stephen Colbert did on the new Monopoly Game board:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... --monopoly
Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby ilacewords » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:11 am

Hilarious! That guy is so funny everytime I watch him. He's just great at putting things into a really crazy perspective.
ilacewords

Return to Conspiracies - Fact or Fiction?